Subject: UKNM: NMA: Virgin will go free
From: Mike Butcher
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 12:02:14 GMT

It ain't no rumour. If that's how you heard it, it was just bad attribution
of another NMA exclusive.

Snipped from our article last week about free ISPs:

Virgin Net, on 142k subscribers, admits to some increase in churn since the
Freeserve launch and "some slowdown in the rate of growth" but this has
been far less than feared. Last year it offered a year's 'free' access to
anyone willing to deposit £30k with Citibank. Alex Dale, marketing director
at Virgin Net says the company is now looking at offering a free service
inside two months: "I think it's fairly obvious why. We have to look at the
new models. It's not strictly free, really it's no fixed subscription - but
I think paying for subscription is going to have a limited future."

The next time someone tells you they've heard a 'rumour', just reach for
your copy of NMA and get the friggin' facts.

Mike

Mike Butcher, Editor, New Media Age magazine
Online Advertising, marketing, publishing, e-commerce
T: 44 (0)171 5777 254 F: 44 (0)171 9704 899
50 Poland St, London W1V 4AX http://www.nma.co.uk
http://nma.oyster.co.uk/public/online/subscribe.html
Want news? Send JOIN ALERT to matthewbatcentaur [dot] co [dot] uk (mailto:matthewbatcentaur [dot] co [dot] uk)