Subject: Re: UKNM: The Big Retailers - was Toys R Us
From: Sajid Mohammed
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 12:32:14 GMT

---Steve Johnston/IMRG <steveatimrg [dot] org> wrote:

> >But you haven't addressed the issue of exclusion - and I doubt whether
> >many on this list even consider the fate of those living on or below
> >the poverty line. The gross distortions caused to the global economy
> >by the activities of transnational corporations are I imagine 'dull as
> >dishwater'.
>
> You are right. Sajid, because I don't know how. And whilst we can all fret
> about our impotence to make a difference, we conveniently get on wth our
> own personal wealth creation.

*YOU* are very welcome to fret about your impotence, Steve. *I* for
one absolutely stubbornly refuse to acknowledge my inability - whether
as an individual or within a group - to make any kind of difference.

I know we now live in the era of The Consensus where trade is dictated
by the WTO, transnationals and anybody but the people but it is
possible to not bury one's head in the sand merely because one does
not 'know how'.

Steve, I suggest you get your history books out and look up what the
Chartists & Suffragettes achieved and then reflect on how different
your life would be if they had not triumphed. If this has woken you
out of your Blairite ennui, then I suggest you take the time to find
out how people all over the world - especially in developing countries
- do not share your complacency.

We live in a country where the Prime Minister does not feel that the
safety of Genetically Modified food is an appropriate topic of
discussion between two party leaders on the floor of the House. This
demonstrates how beholden we are now to the market.

The consequences of social exclusion as a result of the Internet
merely scratch the surface. To not address them at all is
irresponsible at best and downright malicious at worst.

Sajid Mohammed