Subject: Re: UKNM: the absurd economics of the net
From: Deborah Loth
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 19:43:27 GMT

Last week Bill Thompson wrote:
>This week's Economist has a number of pieces about the overvaluation
>of net stocks - worth reading - but they also point out the way
>the industry is going by imagining a company called "dollar.com" that
>sells dollar bills for 90 cents and then makes money from selling
>ads and impressions.
>
>What frightens me most is that I can't see anything wrong
>with the model... is it just me?

And this week's Wall Street Journal reports that a California company plans
to distribute free computers to people who agree to use them for at least
10 hours per month, to share personal data about themselves and to be
exposed to Internet advertising. (Hazardous...) The company founder thinks
that it will work because Web customers are now valued at about $1,000 in
potential advertising and transaction fees over several years, or more than
the price of a PC.

A viable business plan for BT's revenge on Dixons? Pay-for Internet access,
but the computer is free... Or are those consumers, like net stocks,
overvalued?

D.