Subject: Re: UKNM: The Big Retailers - was Toys R Us
From: Sajid Mohammed
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 08:45:26 GMT

---Steve Johnston/IMRG <steveatimrg [dot] org> wrote:

> Sajid, I am not offended by your patronising manner, but I am concerned
> that you misinterpreted me and I do not enjoy being a convenient target of
> your self-righteousness.

Steve, if I came over as patronising or self-righteous then I humbly
apologise. Issues surrounding social exclusion are rather dear to my
heart, so I may be guilty of being over zealous at times - this
however is no excuse. I wasn't trying to engage in some cheap point
scoring though. (Racks his brain for an emoticon for sorry...)

In terms of doing something to address this issue online, I raise it
in fora like this and listen to the deafening silence. Offline, I am
involved in a voluntary project to allow young unemployed people
access to computers.

There are plenty of initiatives we can all contribute towards. For
example, companies who throw obsolete computers in skips (many do) can
donate them to charities who will clean them up and sell them on to
schools at a much lower price than they would pay for a new computer.
There's a million and one ways to contribute. If you're in Brighton,
give your support/money to Schnews who do some fabulous work in
bringing important issues to people's attention.

Let me put it this way: eight years ago, anti-roads protesters were
sneered at in polite society. Today, we can all acknowledge that mass
road building accompanied by out-of-town developments like superstores
have wrecked inner cities (by causing the affluent to move to commuter
villages), wiped out village shops and post offices (which cannot hope
to compete with superstores) as well as spawning a new generation of
burglar who bombs out of the city on a motorway into a nice little
village and makes off with his haul at great speed. Never mind the air
pollution, downgrading of public transport etc.

The wired society will have palpable effects upon society. Social
exclusion is merely one of them. This time around, it would be nice to
be able to think through the possible consequences of our collective
actions and address these concerns. I don't live in hope though, as
our fate seems to be in the hands of INSEAD alumni... ;)

Sajid Mohammed