Subject: UKNM: How to increase banner click through rates
From: William Wemyss
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 00:39:56 GMT

Hi everyone,

I'm sure everyone has read somewhere (probably in this well informed and well edited discussion group!) about the declining clickthrough rates associated with banners. Well, I would like to disagree. One can improve click through rates dramatically through the effective use of three tools; site selection (close targeting of core audience), creativity, and innovative use of technology. First let me examine site selction. This is crucial to any successful campaign. It's typically the traditional ad agencies whose just use the networks like Doubleclick to find what they think is the right site, or section within. More successful campaigns are to be had by finding other more targeted sites outside the networks. Consequently, we at Panlogic built a database of such sites according to various demographics . They're cheaper as well!! Secondly, the internet, from a creative viewpoint, is in its infancy, which makes it a creative director's dream!! Therfore by being continually innovative it drives click throughs up. Lastly, effective use of technology is also innovative. For instance moving away from straight gif and animated gif banners to towards Rich Media and Java drives clickthrough rates up. Hence anyone who gets the average 0.4% clickthrough is with the wrong agency, and probably a traditional ad agency who focus is not the web. So, in my opinion the banner is far from dead but freshly out of its nappies!!

Kind regards

William

William Wemyss
Director

www.panlogic.co.uk
'Driving targeted visitors to your web sites'