Subject: Re: yahoo was Re: UKNM: Word.com
From: Tim Ireland
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 13:35:57 GMT

Nikki said:
> OK, here goes <deep breath>
>
> YAHOO SUCKS

Well - and succintly - put.

> on many levels:
>
> 1) As a user
>
> You are using a product that is so out of date as to be useless. Count the
> 404's as a start! And have you seen how long it takes to get in there in
> some cases? One client I had was accepted into Yahoo 3 months after he had
> gone into liquidation! Newbie surfers are sent to Yahoo and believe that
if
> it ain't in there, it don#'t exist. Yahoo is out of date and nowhere near
> representative of the web today.

As has been said before, the *idea* is a good one - but poorly executed. The
pure physical grunt behind OPD fixes this. Yes, some editors misuse the
system - but this kind of abuse is easy to spot if you have your bullshit
meter activated. I'd rather read one false review than thousands of
hopelessly outdated ones.

> 2) As a website owner
>
> I was lucky and got accepted in 2 weeks - others take months, nay years to
> be accepted. Reasons? Too many sites already in that category, sitre not
> well enough designed, no domain name, reviewer had argument with
> boy/girlfriend. Who knows?

An experimetal site I use to gauge search engine and other such things was
listed in the OPD within days. 4 weeks later, the same listing (with exactly
the same review) started appearing in the category section of Lycos, HotBot,
Netscape - and now also gets top search results through the AOL portal
thanks to the same listing. 5 months after launch, (and over 60,000 visitors
later) Yahoo have yet to list the site.

> 3) As an advertiser
>
> Phenomenally high CPMs mean that only the larger companies can afford to
> advertise on Yahoo. I spent 2 hours on a sales call with a Yahoo rep
> recently who basicall said that they weren't aiming towards anyone that
had
> less than £50K per year to spend. Come on guys!!! What about the smaller
> businesses? Isn't it better to get 50 smaller businesses paying £500 a
month
> than 1 paying £5K per month? You do the maths.

Not just you, Nikkki. Yahoo is one of the *worst* places I have ever had the
mispleasure to deal with in terms of banner placement. Many on this list
will be well aware of how pigheaded and unforgiving Yahoo can be regarding
assets that are a specabyte over 10K, or try to do anything technically
creative. FFS, they don't even allow looped animation! And this is how they
treat *blue-chip* clients....

> This, of course is my personal opinion, and that of the clients I have
> managed to drum it into :o)

You go, girl!
Nikki! Nikki! Nikki!
(audience goes wild with whoops and whistles)

Tim Ireland
Senior Copywriter, Designercity (www.designercity.com)
http://www.buymybook.co.uk/