Subject: UKNM: Re: Amazon.com
From: Dan Leighton
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 15:18:51 GMT

> Sorry to go on, I'll be talking about Mars bars costing 3 old pence soon.

Isn't it weird that one can feel nostalgic about something so recent?

I remember playing MUDs at 4.00 in the morning with people in the states
in the late 80s (embarrassing - but I was a student...)

I had a strange experience yesterday on a phone call to my bro yesterday
- we were looking at a site I designed - he using a Lynx browser. I
then tried looking at the site with Lynx to see what he saw. What
struck me as odd is that he lives in a monochrome world on the web. No
graphics, no colours - not even a mouse. I know he's a bit weird like
that - but it occured to me that he is almost totally oblivious to the
things that we take for granted - he has opted out of our way of
designing.

This makes me think of all those people who haven't used the web at all
yet - how do we make sure that we don't alienate them? What do we need
to do to ensure they don't 'opt out' after their first experience and
stop bothering to use this slow and cumbersome Internet beast?

Where do we draw the compromise line between assuming Internet users are
getting more experienced and accepting that they need simpler and
simpler interfaces as more newbies come online?

Any thoughts?

d.