Subject: Re: UKNM: Internet Shopping goes Mobile
From: Scott Reid
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 13:41:25 GMT

David Simpson wrote:

> Bad news for John Lewis & other high street price matchers - stop price
> matching or slash overheads if you wanna stay afloat.
>
> Good news for consumers - best of both worlds on a plate, go into the
> *real* store of your choice, choose an appliance based on how it looks and
> *expert* advice as well as features / size etc. , then whip out the phone
> and Mr. Dept Store will give you a nifty discount based on a low overheads
> e-retailer - BINGO

I'm not aware of any of the high street retailers that will price match
a web based retailer's price. They would be selling the item at a loss.
Having done the research around where I am based I know this for fact.
Obviously this may vary around the country... anyone know of any
retailer stupid enough to do this?

> Good news for you, Scott ??? Good publicity for sure but.......

Well since we launched the service on Friday we've already received more
than three hundred requests and a resonable percentage of these have
turned into sales. I'm not going to disclose what this percentage is,
but let's just say it's significantly more than we get out of banner
advertising.

Scott