Subject: Site time calculations
From: Alex Bainbridge
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 13:08:49 -0000

As I write this we have someone sitting on our site for the last 3 1/2
hours - this is quite normal. (I guess that they are in the office - and
that they have left the page open on their browser). (they haven't moved
pages in the last 3 1/2 hours)

Is there some agreed method on calculating site time? Anyone remember
statistical analysis? What if someone moves around your site for 10 mins -
then stays stationary for a further hour - how long is their site visit?

Someone said to me the other day that their site is good as they retain a
user for 12 mins - unless someone has an agreed method of calculating site
time it will become as meaningless as page impressions used to be a few
years ago (when framed docs used to count as 2 or 3 page impressions for
example - at least this has been cleared up now)

If people are going to use site time as an indicator of quality (and
therefore advertising revenue) it needs to be an agreed method of
calculation ....

Suggestions..?

alex
First48 UK