Subject: [uk-netmarketing] Re: Journo looking for rentaquotes, or evenserious comment
From: Mike Butcher
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 10:36:59 -0000

One of the (bizarrely) oft-neglected sources of information on this
topic is the UK's chapter of the Internet Advertising Bureau
(http://www.iabuk.net). Although the site doesn't have much stats,
they should furnish you with back surveys of the UK's online
advertising market with Price Waterhouse Coopers.

Certainly at the beginning of 2000, the online ad market in the UK
looked poised to peg the outdoor advertising. Whether this remains
the case I don't know. Ask the IAB. Suffice it to say that most
consumer dotcoms during last year's boom put at least 70 per cent of
their marketing budget into traditional media. Look at them now.

My two cents worth: For online advertising to really take off in this
country flat-rate Internet access has to become ubiquitous. Only then
will it exist on a level-playing field with other free-to-air media.
Until then it's not credible to compare it like for like with other
channels which have had a little more than five years to develop.
--
Mike Butcher, News Editor, The Industry Standard Europe
Harling House, 47-51 Great Suffolk Street, London SE1 0BS