Subject: RE: UKNM: RE: Creativity
From: David Hughes
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 18:32:44 GMT

What about the sequence of ideas? Some say that there are no new
ideas...combining any number of old ones with new technology or new cultural
paradigms creates some value innovation. My favourite example is "Its a
good thing the wheel was invented BEFORE the internal combustion engine
because the scraping noise would have been unbearable".

Dragging this thread back to New Media stuff, we see countless examples of
where some tried-and-tested off-line marketing techniques work significantly
better when executed on-line. The internet and Direct Marketing were made
for each other and their combined power is a great example of a (business)
philosophy and new technology bringing synergistic innovation.

A bad example is where technology is "a solution looking for a problem",
providing little incremental gain for the consumer. Eddie Shah's wobbly,
grainy colour pictures in Today newspaper came at a time when the technology
was available but unreliable and the consumer didn't really want/need the
luxury of news stories in colour...indeed, there are very few news stories
which really benefit from an obligatory colour picture.

Relating all that to Boo.com and other "over-designed" sites we all love to
hate, maybe the GOOD people in new media earn their corn by evaluating the
best (old?) creative solutions to apply to a client requirement and apply
the most appropriate technology to deliver it. With my e-mail marketing hat
on, too many people seem eager to rush into HTML/streaming media formats
when we have all barely scratched the surface of text e-mails. If you want
to speak to the widest possible audience in a format which can be opened and
responded to by all, stay with text; you ain't gonna win many New Media
awards if you design in 10 point courier but you may give your e-mail the
best chance for a good response. Dull, but true.

David Hughes
Group Account Director
E-Mail Vision UK Limited
dhughesatemailvision [dot] com