Subject: RE: UKNM: Wacky names
From: Sarah Clelland
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 12:36:22 +0100

Sean said
>I think the only useful concensus is that being first to build a brand in
a particular sector is much, much cheaper than being second or third.<
and Giles said
>Why don't they just make use of the well-established brands they already
have?<

The initial reluctance of the bricks and mortars to jeopardise their brands
with their newly launched on-line services was creditable - at least it was
when they were testing unknown waters.

As far as I can make out, Intelligent Finance isn't offering anything
so groundbreaking. Hasn't the banking industry come to a point where
offering
an on-line service is mandatory rather than a risk? Sean & Giles are both
right - starting a brand from scratch must be costing them a fortune and I
can see
no reason to completely and utterly distance themselves from their existing
brand -
people will make the connection anyway.

Frankly, they'd be better off spending the money on ensuring that their
products are the cheapest, their customer service the most efficient and
their
site the most user-friendly, functional and reliable website on offer. The
fact
that the site wasn't ready on time suggests that their priorities are
somewhat
different.

Sarah Clelland
www.snowvalley.com