Subject: Re: UKNM: E-millionaires
From: Speechrad
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 09:02:13 +0100

jeraintatlearnonline [dot] org [dot] uk writes:

<< Am I the only one who thought that Joe's yourable.com was the only
original
idea aimed at a sensible untapped market whilst Schoolsforschools will
never
work because:

No, you're not I voted for Joe. I've worked in both the school and the3
disability area. The schools4schools idea is a great big 'hope' based on
market size. It's gort a lot of very established competition who are not
sitting on their hands but are gpoing on-line.

1. The school market is notoriously conservative in accepting change
2. There is already a big national supplier who aggregates on price
3. The link between a local school and local suppliers feeds into sports
days, open days, publicity etc.
4. Most teachers (especially management) do not/will not use the Internet
due to lack of time/resources in the first place!
5. The advertising campaign was a real winner
6. I didn't believe that all that b#ll*@%s about 'a chance to really
help..'

Would anyone else have invested in this business or is it just me? >>

I'd never invest in it.

Some of your points are valid but the gov't is pushing schools to
buy/administer/mark/learn on-line. It's slow but don't forget there are
about 400,000 teachers scattered around and *we* (as a nation) don't want to
spend any money on them.

yourable, on the other hand is aimed at a market the gov't don't even want
acknowledge and they know it. Not all the disabled are flush with cash, but
they do need good advice and ordinary things like suitable holidays, quite a
few are on-line and it has a naturally evolving community feel about it.

Joe's problem is, he won't end up running it. He deserves to make money and
will probably become the face of yourable but they'll put in tough
management
and run it around him.

It's interesting that all those I put down as having management potential
didn't get through to the final. Money and a good team can make most half
decent ideas wiork whereas good ideas without good management will eat money
up.

Michael Trott
Operations Director
Speechradio.com Ltd. - The Internet's Leading Audio Content Provider
Visit Internet Radio at www.studentradio.co.uk, www.arenaradio.co.uk,
www.radiohtml.com
Free radio for your website from http://www.speechradio.com