Subject: RE: UKNM: 'Wacky Names'
From: Richard Uttley
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 11:33:30 +0100

I think that there may be a little more to this IMHO. When you isolate a
brand (ie divorce it from its peers and its environment) then you could say
that the experience is the brand. But when it's taken in comparison then
perceptions can change. If you hadn't experienced Amazon or similarly
functional sites would you still say that Boo was badly designed? It may
have been difficult to use, but if there had been nothing better it would
have been seen as a leader in the field and the brand may well have grown.

Another point for discussion is the use of the term "image" when describing
a business. Personally I prefer to think of a business having a personality
- like a colleague. A good branding policy will leave me feeling confident
that I could predict what a company would do under a given set of conditions
without ever having witnessed it respond to those conditions before. So if I
received the wrong product from Amazon (and I haven't to date) I would
confidently predict that they would change it immediately, pay the carriage
costs both ways and give me a £5 gift voucher for the inconvenience.

To me "image" is just that; a projection without substance. Brand is a known
persona (good or bad).

Wassat worth? A penny or two?

Richard M Uttley
Marketing Director
Netstep
e-mail: richardatnetstep [dot] co [dot] uk