Subject: UKNM: RE: Just35 v. thesite.org
From: John Braithwaite
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 03:30:08 +0100

Dug wrote:
So you're saying that if your kid thinks he's gay or has realized that just
violently humping his girlfriend doesn't seem to make her happy he should
remain in the dark? I hope you'll agree that more information for kids ought
to prevent unhappiness and frustration in adults (who knows, might even
lower
the incidence of aids and lower the crime rate)

It has traditionally been very difficult for young people to get accurate
and impartial advice or information about 'taboo' subjects like sex and
drugs.
Instead they rely on word-of-mouth 'fact' from their network of friends.

I for one feel that http://www.thesite.org makes a valuable contribution.

JB writes:
With a definite fear of being flamed for agreeing with Just35, I must admit
that I don't agree with thesite.org making a 'valuable contribution'. Having
just visited it, it's plainly just a template that proves 'sex sells'. It
doesn't promote relationships (even the 'relationships' section is all about
dating, sex and one-night-stands), it doesn't promote abstention from either
drugs or sex as being an option and is plainly the equivalent of 'The Good
Sex Guide' Videos - which were able to show graphic sex scenes by abusing
the definition of 'education'.

Unhappiness and frustration in later life is more than just the sex. If sex
is the fulcrum and the centre of the relationship - then it's on unstable
grounds. If you had a good relationship with your partner then you should be
able to find out about what they like (or don't) by talking to them (shock
horror) in the physical REAL WORLD (not visiting a website and then
springing a new 'idea' on them, cos you read about it and thought it was
interesting). We all are created with innate differences, everywhere, and by
communicating and being able to share with each other - issues can be
overcome more successfully.

Anyway, because of it's nature, I'm sure thesite.org will prove to be
immensely popular by word of mouth and recommendation. I just don't think it
actually is balanced or 'educational' at all - this seems to be a bit of a
smokescreen.