Subject: UKNM: The Cluetrain Mainfesto
From: Sara Waller
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 15:43:51 +0100

KAA12809

Hello,
Any thoughts on this? (enclose book review on Amazon ) Strikes up a debate
on importance of chat rooms, forums, usenet groups , customer service, user
empowerment etc.......anyone from "Infonic" reading this ?...... : - )

Strikes a chord with me following the postings from this group over "pissed
off with bad banking customer service" debate (NatWest are crap by the way-
Smile is the answer !!) .

And intensified further when received the email from www.pdafn.com
<http://www.pdafn.com> offering a free Palm V if I recruited 25 further
people- l

Look at the forum on their site- support secttion,
http://www.pdafn.com/forums/list.php3?num=2
<http://www.pdafn.com/forums/list.php3?num=2>
people are certainly not happy with the service- although admittedly man
from PDA returned my enquiry yesterday saying the messages were
"unfortunate". !! Why are they still there ???

Forum fever, the consumer strikes back......

Sara

The Cluetrain Manifesto -authors Christopher Locke, Rick Levine, Doc Searls,
and David Weinberger show how the Internet is turning business upside down.
They proclaim that, thanks to conversations taking place on Web sites and
message boards, and in e-mail and chat rooms, employees and customers alike
have found voices that undermine the traditional command-and-control
hierarchy that organizes most corporate marketing groups. "Markets are
conversations," the authors write, and those conversations are "getting
smarter faster than most companies." In their view, the lowly customer
service rep wields far more power and influence in today's marketplace than
the well-oiled front office PR machine.

The Cluetrain Manifesto began as a Web site www.cluetrain.com
<http://www.cluetrain.com> in 1999 when the authors, who have worked
variously at IBM, Sun Microsystems, the Linux Journal‹, and NR, posted 95
theses that pronounced what they felt was the new reality of the networked
marketplace. For example, thesis no. 2: "Markets consist of human beings,
not demographic sectors"; thesis no. 20: "Companies need to realize their
markets are often laughing. At them"; thesis no. 62: "Markets do not want to
talk to flacks and hucksters. They want to participate in the conversations
going on behind the corporate firewall"; thesis no. 74: "We are immune to
advertising. Just forget it." The book enlarges on these themes through
seven essays filled with dozens of stories and observations about how
business gets done in America and how the Internet will change it all. While
Cluetrain will strike many as loud and over the top, the message itself
remains quite relevant and unique. This book is for anyone interested in the
Internet and e-commerce, and is especially important for those businesses
struggling to navigate the topography of the wired marketplace. All aboard!
--Harry C. Edwards Online Pr Manager

Sara Waller
Online PR Manager
One Paris Garden
London
SE1 8NU

DL 0207 803 2381
DF 0207 803 2082
M 0777 624 0060

Swalleratoutrider [dot] com <Swalleratoutrider [dot] com (mailto:Swalleratoutrider [dot] com)>
Onlinepratoutrider [dot] com <Onlinepratoutrider [dot] com (mailto:Onlinepratoutrider [dot] com)>

Sara Waller

Online Pr Manager
Outrider