Subject: Re: UKNM: The Cluetrain Mainfesto
From: Mark Bunting
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 18:59:08 +0100

> Strikes up a debate on importance of chat rooms,
> forums, usenet groups , customer service, user
> empowerment etc.......anyone from "Infonic" reading
> this ?...... : - )

Yes, we do like it. I tell all my potential clients to
read it – saves us the trouble of a pitch… :-)

It’s worth reading for anybody trying to use the Net’s
networked culture for communications purposes,
although it leaves lots unanswered. In particular it’s
long on analysis but short on action; the important
questions are (in Cluetrain terms) whether companies
can learn to communicate in the language of their
markets, and what would have to happen to get
companies back into their markets’ conversations?

The PDA example is interesting. Their thinking
presumably is that if this kind of criticism is going
to go on somewhere, better for it to happen on their
site where (a) they can easily monitor it, (b) they
can respond to it without being accused of spamming,
(c) they get to look like an open customer-accessible
company. (See Egg for a closer-to-home example at
http://www.eggfreezone.com/chat.htm.)

On the other hand, having such vigorous criticism on
your own site, which possibly only stems from a small
minority of customers, looks pretty terrible to any
passing visitors – and might send potential customers
running a mile.

It’s become conventional wisdom that companies need to
be more open and transparent but there are costs
attached! Would be interested in others’ thoughts.

Mark

=====
Mark Bunting: mark [dot] buntingatinfonic [dot] com
INFONIC Online Communications Management
Tel 020 7490 8844
http://www.infonic.com
=====