Subject: RE: UKNM: 'Wacky Names'
From: Tony Newland
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:40:51 +0100

Hi guys, have just joined the group, I'm from a print publishing background
so this is all very new territory for me. However, having just read the
first chapter of the Cluetrain Minefesto (sufficently interested to order
it) I thought I'd put the philosophy into practice and enter into
conversation.

I thought at the time with boo (stop me if you've heard all this before)
that the principle of buying clothes online was fundamentally flawed. The
web is principally visual and the interaction involved with it is for the
most part written with regard to usergroups, and online communities etc.

Clothes buying is experiential, a tactile process as well as visual, people
for the most part try on clothes etc before they buy them. The large
catalogue clothes market in the UK can't really be used as evidence to the
contrary to this. The catalogue clothes buying market, especially in the UK,
is comprised for the most part by c1,2,E,d women. Not the people who at the
moment make up the majority of people online. Also (admittedly anecdotal)
evidence suggests that the purpose for catalogue buying in this market is
financially based, the benefits of ease of payment over a period of time.
Not because it is a *preffered* way of buying clothes overall. What's all
this about I hear you cry. ;-) Again I am possibly wrong in this, and will
after assimilating more information be horribly embarrased; but surely we
need to look at what type, or rather the nature of interaction/communication
that is taking place between an individual and the business (especially
online). If we are to determine the most effective way of communicating we
need to understand the different levels at which people operate and
communicate in different situations, especially on the web. Language in this
sense has a much broader meaning (perhaps) than in the non-web enviroment.

We need to avoid a Tower of Babel situation where we find that we are all
talking different languages and expecting different things from a given
interaction. Avoiding (for example) the bland expectation of people buying
visually what they have been used to buying experientially, especially
clothing, without making some effort to create a bridge by which customers
can comfortably cross from one type of action to another. This is in
addition to the principles of fulfillment, cost and ease of use. Perhaps I
have confused a number of issues here, but hey if I have I'd be grateful if
you could put me straight....that's what this is all about right?

> Tony Newland
> Advertising & Sponsorship Manager
> Rainbow Network Plc
> phone: 0207 278 1105
> fax: 0207 713 7732
> web: http://www.rainbownetwork.com
>
> Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author only and do
not necessarily represent the views of RAINBOW NETWORK PLC.