From: Clay Shirky
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:06:46 +0100

> But not all information and content will be cheap and not all
> information will come down in price.

OK. What information is not going to come down in price?

> Information and content if it can be sold at a premium will be sold at a
> premium. Just look at the various premium rate phone lines for horse
> racing, greyhounds, dating, horoscopes etc.

...and look at all the free sites offering the same services which
make their money off ads and affiliate revenues. Do you really think
match.com and astrology.com haven't reduced the price of that
information?

> This information is sold at a Premium and there is no reason why
> information on the Web cannot be sold at a Premium.

Leslie, no one's saying it can't be sold at a premium. What we're
saying is that its a smaller premium than it used to be.

> The way I look at it, is that you have "lite" information which is just
> the basics and then if someone wants more then they can pay for it.

This is the way the NY Times looked at it too, and Slate, and Gemstone
Games, and TEN, et al, and they were all wrong.

> Give them a taster or teaser and then let them have more - at a price!

...and drive yourself out of business in the process.

-clay