Subject: UKNM: Re: UKNM Digest V1 #204
From: aaa
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 18:16:23 +0100

From: Anthony Appleby
uknmatatl [dot] uk [dot] com
http://www.worldsoccernews.com
Re: Anyone got capital?

There is no doubt that having a 'name' behind a fund raising issue
contributes highly to the success of the fund raising. In my own
back yard I only have to look at the name Peter Wilkinson
(Freeserve architect) behind Planet Football to realise why a
lacklustre set of sites with lacklustre traffic figures managed to gain
a valuation of over £26 million.

Sean Phelan mentions the lastminute team backed by a group of
'known' telecom consultants, and QXL by an FT journalist.

However, I think the generalised lack of funding in the UK lies not
so much in the lack of intelligent MBA students starting up
ventures as Sean Phelan suggests (for there are many of them) but
that there is a wide void between those who 'can' set up functional,
money taking, traffic generating internet sites, and those who can
"reasonably be expected to be able to write, create financial
models, do market research and network properly."

I suggest that the MBA students have as little idea as anyone else
of how to actually make money from an internet site though they
may think they know, whereas those who have been in the front
line have often actually experienced first hand the success of
advertising sales, affiliate programs and e-commerce.

The gap is between the expectations of the internet and what it
actually delivers. It is the expectations and the dream that raises
the money not the reality. It is also the expectations and the dream
that keeps share prices rising and rising (eg Durlacher, -of
football/music 365 fame, VirtualInternet etc) and not the reality.

Plans that I have seen that have raised money are usually based
on hugely overoptimistic sales figures for banner advertising
revenue and e-commerce take up etc, with very little to back them
up. Dream beats reality.

I suggest that the creation of a better forum for these two groups of
people to meet would benefit us all in the long term. Temper the
dreams of the creative writers on the one hand and raise the quality
of the plans of those with experience on the other.

I personally admit to not having a financial background or
experience in raising money and am looking for someone with
money raising savvy to help me and I am sure I am not the only
one.

ATL Strategic Communications Ltd
Welsbach House
Broomhill Road