Subject: UKNM: urbanfetch and globalisation.
From: Stewart Dean
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 15:24:15 +0100

Alas my Chiswick bachelor pad is not covered and they don't have krispie
kreme doughnuts in the UK - probably a good thing if I'm planning not to
stay a bachelor.

One thing of note is they are yet to set up a drop box method for videos -
free post envelopes instead. Kozmo in the US made a good move by teaming
with Starbucks (ubiquitous in the US cities and increasingly the UK) but I
feel made a bad move by not hitting London.

London is perfect for this kind of service as there is already a thriving
courier service in the city (Wardour street darlings will have been shaken
from a hang over once too many times not to ignore them) and it's not that
big. I can see why they don't come to Chiswick now.

The startlingly obvious point I wanted to make was Urbanfetch thought
globally about their business. Many US companies are still thinking of US as
the world and .com meaning .us. This is a shame as many US brands could work
quite well if they went global - especially e-commerce related services,
amazon.co.uk does quite well from what I seen but yahoo.co.uk is second to
.com in the UK.

Maybe the creeping globalisation (Gap, Starbucks, McDonalds a Burgerking
near the McDonalds...) is making all the world the same. But I have to say
the UK are striking back with Virgin, Body Shop and, hey, the most popular
TV show in the US is English in origin!