Subject: RE: UKNM: Virtual Communities, Avatars etc. . .
From: Joanna Crumpton
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 10:29:23 GMT

Virtual communities may not appeal to everyone, but for those who enjoy
chatting online it does offer a much richer and immersive environment
compared to the text based alternatives. Those who do enjoy the service can
spend amazing lengths of time inworld, in the Virtual Zones you can find
people playing virtual bingo together, in the US they're even getting
married online!

Virtual Zones (www.virtualzones.co.uk) has recently launched in the UK and
we are about to start an online marketing campaign for them.

Within the Virtual Zones there is quite a lot of scope to customise your
avatar with different heads, body shapes and accessories, as well as rent
your own your apartment which can be decorated and furnished however you
choose. It has it's own monetary system where you collect credits from
virtual cashpoints, in order to buy the items you want. When more partners
come on board there will be developments within the world, which will create
more environments.

These virtual worlds do create great brand building and e-commerce
opportunities as branded environments, or inworld objects can be created,
which can link directly to a URL. There is also the opportunity to talk
directly to consumers inworld. For example at a specific time each week a
representative from the company could be inworld, in their branded
environment, to answer any questions on a specific topic. Events,
competitions and games can also be hosted inworld.

As a marketing agency we find it a very interesting medium to run campaigns
in - i.e. what is going to be more effective, a 468x60 pixel banner on a
page, or an animated character/object giving you information about a
product?

Have any of you media buyers out there done any virtual world advertising,
or would you consider it?

Jo
Jo Crumpton
Digital Outlook Communications Ltd