Subject: UKNM: Re: Kids
From: Gary Pharo
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 12:13:24 GMT

> Does any one know of a company that researches into kids on-line - their <
> habits, the whys and the wherefores? <

We recently produced a document on this for our clients, from research done
in The States, by Business2.0. I don't have a soft copy of this, but would
be happy to forward a lovely (!) colourful printed sheet if you wish. It
covers time on line, money spent etc.

Drop me a line off-list if you would like a copy.

Also you might be interested in this PDF and the following snippet, which
would suggest that Jupiter may be worth a visit on this although it is US
centric!!:

http://www.business2.com/articles/1999/05/pdf/e-biz-1.pdf

Technology research firm Jupiter Communications, at its annual Digital Kids
conference here, projected that kids aged 5 to 12, and teen-agers would
spend $1.3 billion online in 2002. Of the total, it said, the younger group
would account for $100 million in spending.

In a survey of 600 teens and kids, Jupiter found that 67 percent of teens
and 37 percent of kids have made online purchases.

"Today's kids are sophisticated and see the Internet as a preferred tool for
information gathering; commerce is a natural progression," said Anya
Sacharow, an analyst with Jupiter.

"Instead of grabbing parents' coat sleeves, today's digital kids ask parents
for credit card numbers and buy products online."

With 8.6 million kids and 8.4 million teens currently online, the study also
found that marketers have been shifting their strategies for advertising to
kids from passive approaches to more actively targeted strategies. This in
turn has raised concern among parents.

Kids and teens are the two largest growth sectors of the Internet
population, Jupiter said, but they will directly account for less than 5
percent of the online shopping revenues in 2002.

Gary Pharo
Sales Manager
Commtouch (UK), Ltd.
Phone +44 (0)207 969 2922