[Previous] [Next] - [Index] [Thread Index] - [Previous in Thread]

Subject: RE: UKNM: Three cheers Amazon UK
From: Paul Durrant
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 13:04:17 +0000 (GMT)

Nick Sweeney commented:
> Whether this practice is of earth-shattering consequence is hard to
> tell, as it would seem that many big publishers are part of a global
> operation (e.g. HarperCollins are part of Murdoch's empire) so in the
> big scheme of things a sale is a sale.

>Since the big publishers were happy to break the NBA, I can't see them
>complaining, since reduced prices generate higher sales. It's an
>interesting policy, if it is deliberate. Because it might be the first
>heave towards realigning the prices of books and CDs with American levels.

I think we are seeing the beginning of a shake up but I'm not sure the
parallel with the NBA quite holds. The existing book distribution
retailing industry won't give up with out a fight.

Witness the crazy implanting of area codes in DVD to prevent US film
releases being played in the other areas before the studios would like
it. (Original big selling point of DVD and Video-CDs was the elimination
of NTSC/PAL format differences which dog VHS and videodisks).

Similarily the big publishers want to control the market to maintain
their current (lucrative) distribution business models.

Paul Durrant
Tarnlough Ltd.
pdurrantatindigo [dot] ie