Subject: Re: UKNM: uk cyber elite
From: Sean Phelan
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 19:19:12 +0000 (GMT)

How about David Bowie? He is a brit, www.bowie.com ; first major (single?)
released solely on the internet; first artist to securitise his back catalog
(not an internet thing but hyper-innovative). His own ISP with some kind of
content/connectivity tie-up. Undoubtedly one to watch.

Looking back over the last few years, Peter Dawe and Chris Batterham for
creating Pipex and Cliff Stanford <spelling?> for creating Demon.

Although MFS is US-owned, a lot of its worldwide expansion (fibre in
most European cities, purchase of UUnet, many undersea gigabits) was
driven by Brits... I can look out the names if you want.

Looking back again, Sir Brian Carsberg as head of Oftel was instrumental
in ending the BT/Mercury duopoly in 1992. That is why the UK has gigabits
of internet capacity to the US, while most European countries only have
a few tens of megabits.

Up-and-coming names are a bit sensitive, of course. There are a couple
of VC funds that are just starting to make waves.

Of course, do you count Brits living in the US? Or non-brits living
in the UK?

Cheers
Sean (who has never whined about VC, used the word "Leverage", does not
have "Solution" or "Concept" in his company name, and has never knowingly
offered stock options in his biz plan or washroom. Elitism didn't used
to be this easy).