Subject: Re: UKNM: online ad tolerance collapsing
From: azeem azhar, list
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 19:24:52 +0000 (GMT)

Interesting point.
We've seen the same thing happen in the US, through the usually ad friendly
Net Ratings, where clickthro' in their sample have dropped to 0.56% down
from about 1.2% six months ago.

Here's what could be happening:

1. over-exposure: we see a hell of a lot of ad messages a day online, it
takes a lot to notice one (unless you're a marketer)
2. ads interrupt the goal driven experience: if we are increasingly
goal-driven in our web surfing, then why should i click out of my current
clickstream to be distracted by a cheap laser printer?
3. newer users don't know/understand what that banner is, except that it
fires them off away from where they were.

perhaps we need to encourage some more low'verhead commerce/rich banners per
9thsquare, which keep the surfing experience intact.

second notion: we need more than the data you've provided to help us make
any decisions. it could be that advertising is particularly effective (in
terms of "noticing", or "click through") for hitting some segments. (e.g. an
online ad campaign is probably an extremely effective way of marketing to
employees of Fletcher Research (Fletcher run surveys of the UK ad market and
so track as much advertising copy as they can of the UK), less effective at
marketing to the hordes of internet users who rarely log on).

third: you've tweaked the g-string of tension for sites looking for commerce
and ad revenues . . . the two are probably significantly substitutive not
merely complementary,
that's why advertisers ought to think in terms of pay per performance

see you in zurich!