Subject: Re: UKNM: more Tesco ranting... Kosher food and customer service
From: Tim Ireland
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 12:24:09 GMT

From: Ray Taylor <rayateyeconomy [dot] com>

> The real point is, that the customer went to the store with an expectation
> of a wide choice of Kosher food. Having arrived he was told "go away, we
> ain't got none." The fact that another store in another town might have the
> goodies is of no consequence, just another poor excuse for poor customer
> service.
>
> If each Tesco store is going to have its own product list, then it behoves
> Tesco Direct to drop the false expectations created by a single online store
> approach. Clearly whoever briefed/built Tesco Direct did not take this into
> account.

Whether you use the site or the offline software, you are essentially
tapping directly into your local store - and TD make no bones about it. In
fact, they are proud of it. It is reflected widely in the marketing and
throughout the site - 'your local store in the palm of your hand' etc.

Products lists are essentially the same, but of course there are regional
differences - and seasonal ones. For example, I would imagine a Tesco closer
to Golders Green would have a much wider range of kosher food than one at
Guildford. It is quite possible the store in question had these goods in
stock, but for some reason they are no longer available. Whether this
situation is permanent and temporary, I have no idea - but have you ever
gone into a supermarket and *not* seen at least one empty shelf?

Perhaps we should stop providing the stores with so many options and just
give them one button labelled 'food'.

> Sure, if a store hasn't got something you want, you could send an email
> asking that they get the item in stock. But why bother?

Have we really become this lazy? ;)

If you are the type who would ask in the store (and I am) then why not do it
by email?

Again, Tesco Direct is not perfect - but in my opinion it is streets ahead
of the other jokers and getting better every day.

Tim Ireland
Senior Copywriter
DESIGNERCITY LIMITED
Email: timatdesignercity [dot] com