Subject: UKNM: Re: CHARACTER COMEDY
From: Nic Ford
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 12:24:11 GMT

This is an interesting point though - are comedy names a good, bad or
indifferent thing? Making no judgement at all about Mr. Chestykov, it does
seem to me that very few comics - character or otherwise - have comedy
names. Dan Freeman's Mundo Jazz, of course - but even that's not a pun even
though it's obviously a Made Up Name. Harry Hill is also a MUN, but is
obviously not meant to be comedic in itself.

The only pun names I can think of off the top of my head are Matt Welcome
and Robin Banks. Is this a fashion thing, or is there a reason? Maybe a MUN
is like a promotional photo - not necessarily considered a good idea to be
too zany in itself; the humour should be in the act, not the ephemera.

I'd like to reiterate that I am neither for nor against pun MUNs, nor those
acts that use them. The views expressed in this email are not necessarily
those of the editors. Don't hate me just cos I'm beautiful.

Cheers

Nic