Subject: Credit Card risk scoring (was Re: UKNM: Re: Credit Card Fraud)
From: Jay
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 12:52:40 GMT

> I did read of one system that apparently uses a special technique to give
> merchants a scoring for a potential transaction, based on the information
> presented (e.g. name and address as well as CC details) then leaving the
> merchant to choose whether or not to proceed with the transaction. The fact
> that the company said it couldn't explain how it worked because that was
> their USP put a big question mark over it for me though.

This is known as the "Address Verification Service" and is run by (US) based
card processors for mail-order & telephone order merchants to manage risk.

>From Chapter 14 of "Philip and Alex's Guide to Web Publishing"
http://www.photo.net/wtr/thebook/ecommerce.html

- a book which I cannot recommend highly enough. If you are a site builder,
marketeer or manager and you are involved with an ecommerce site, you *must*
read this book cover to cover.

"If a merchant ships a $1000 widget to a crook and the real cardholder
complains, the merchant has to give $1000 back to the bank. In order to help
mail-order telephone-order merchants manage this risk, the card processors run
what seems to be an essentially separate system called Address Verification
Service. They take the first 20 characters of the street address and the billing
zip code and return a one-character code:

Y means "five-digit zip code and address both match"
A means "address matches, zip code does not"
Z means "zip code matches, address does not"
N means "neither address nor zip code matches"
R means "system unavailable or timed out"
S means "card type not supported"
As a merchant, you have to decide what to do in these various cases. ArsDigita
Shoppe encapsulates this business decision in a single procedure containing a
list of codes that are deemed sufficient to put an order into
authorized_plus_avs. The merchant also needs to make a business decision for
every order that lands into authorized_minus_avs. To ship or not to ship? That's
the question. ArsDigita Shoppe by default will solicit a customer's telephone
number and presumably the merchant will be advised to email or telephone the
customer for verification.
Note that in our experience AVS is not very reliable. For our first few
successful orders, all of which were from legit folks, here are our stats:

AVS Code Count

N 2
R 1
S 1
Y 11
Z 28

The 11 cases in which both address and five-digit zip codes match looks pretty
good until you look at our source code and note that we neither solicit the card
billing street address from the customer nor do we ever provide any street
address to CyberCash. We only solicit card billing zip from the customer and
send that through to CyberCash. Consequently, the 28 cases of "zip code matches"
are to be expected. In two cases, the AVS code raises an unreasonable suspicion
("no match"), and in two more cases we couldn't get an AVS code at all. The one
"card type not supported" (S) was a friend's Mastercard. Oddly enough, it was
issued by BankBoston, our merchant bank. "

Jay Gooby
Tui Interactive Media [http://www.tui.co.uk]
34-35 Dean Street London W1V 5AP
+44 (0)171 734 7757 jayattui [dot] co [dot] uk