Subject: RE: UKNM: retail conflicts
From: Robin Edwards
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 20:39:37 GMT

Nike and Levis in the states. Don't know the details but they both went into
direct selling. I think Nike *may* have offered unique products rather then
competing, but I could be completely wrong on that one. Diesel was selling
direct in the UK too IIRC. They may or may not have been undercutting the
retailers, but it is clearly quite compelling to buy things straight from
Nike, even at the same price (c.f. Nike and Levis' retail stores).

Another interesting issue, Stateside but coming over here too, is the outlet
mall, where the manufacturers offer discounts on goods through their own
branded stores. Here the conflict would appear to be massive. In theory a
lot of the goods on offer are factory seconds but you'd be hard pushed to
tell. So next logical step would be the online outlet mall.

Doh, Robin you've just given away another great business idea. Although if
it is a good idea you can be sure someone somewhere has already done it.

Anyway, for powerful brands the retailers might be content (ish) to live
with the fact that they have location on their side and make the sale to the
customer who is on foot.

And we haven't even begun to talk about customer service. Again, in theory,
the manufacturers should have the edge here due to the higher margins
reducing the need to cut cost of sale down to the bone. In practice many of
us already pay more for some goods because we like the bigger picture
shopping experience. I, for example, couldn't be bothered saving a few
percent on something that I normally buy elsewhere if it meant extra hassle
that can come as a result of poor fulfilment.

--
Robin Edwards
Clockworx