Subject: UKNM: chartered status for web professionals
From: Charles Linn
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 13:01:31 +0100

In light of recent conversations about membership of an association of web
developers, and maintaining basic standards on sites, this sounds a bit to me
like a "Friends Only" type of club, and one which I am not convinced I would be
able to join as an individual (not part of a large web development outfit).
Much though I would enjoy the kudos of being a member, I am also slightly
suspicious of invitation groups as they can end up being rather closed and
cliquey.

That having been said, I agree that certain standards need to guaranteed, an I
am therefore wondering if it would be possible for individuals to acquire
chartered web professional status. This might then act as the guarantee we are
looking for, but on an individual level.

This seems to work well for chartered engineer status, a qualification
recognised throughout Europe.

Cheers

Chas

--