Subject: Re: UKNM: Egg.com website
From: Nick Sweeney
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 14:52:29 +0100

> We've just been involved in the launch of the Egg website for the
> Prudential. If anyone has time to take a look or has come across any of
> our banners, we'd really appreciate any feedback.

It was broken on Sunday, which probably didn't endear you to people who
arrived at the site after reading all the publicity for egg in the Sunday
business sections (self-renewing ASP page on the "savings" section, fixed
now.)

Also, the initial "personalisation" thing, although keeping with the
flavour of the TV ads, is something of a turn-off for web users, I've
found. The standard form on entering personal details is to put it as far
back in the transaction sequence as possible. It's up to the site to earn
my name and address.

80k+ download on the front page? Sloooow starter, even on my ethernet
connection. And it's Flash, so if it's not already on the user's machine,
you're prompting a long wait with nothing on-screen, followed by another
hefty download. (Flash, in my opinion, is just a glorified version of the
fashion for animated gifs from 1995.)

Once you get into the site, it's decent enough. With hope, enough users
will have the patience to do that.

Nick