Subject: UKNM: Re: Viral Marketing #2
From: Tim Ireland
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 17:32:58 +0100

Alex Bainbridge" <alex [dot] bainbridgeatfirst48 [dot] com> asked:
> Hi all,
>
> We are at the early stages of setting up a viral marketing idea.
>
> Our problem is that we only have a small budget for this kind of
promotion -
> but we want to give it a go.
>
> We are a adventure & backpacking travel tour operator - and want to give a
> tour away for a specific viral campaign - our problem is that lots of
people
> might end up wanting it - and could probably come up with a way of signing
> lots of people up (or whatever is required virally) - and we could lose
out.

> Anyone any "too much success" stories for viral marketing?

There have been so many that there is even a term or three:

Flash Crowds: Too many visitors at one time crash your servers, traffic soon
dies off as interest wanes, web users give up and move on, and/or word gets
around that the site is down.

Opportunism: Many cases of this, not just online, but in real life. Free air
miles, anyone?

Death By Success: Too much of a good thing can kill you (see Jungle). You
can't meet the demand, and your brand suffers accordingly as web users
lament far and wide that they 'knew it was too good to be true'.

1. You need someone to take a close look at your offering to gauge what
weaknesses it may have in terms of exploitation.

2. Make up a few estimates of what demand may be placed on the offer and/or
your servers and make the capacity triple this (at least).

Tim Ireland
Director of Marketing
www.designercity.com