Subject: Re: Re UKNM: Linking to sites
From: Simon Heywood
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 18:26:43 +0100

Yup. and it's not just the competition. They will at least read your pages.
It's sure as hell that the first person to contact you after you put up a
new site is someone trying to sell you something... and since they are the
first they won't have read your pages either. The last people to make the
time on their own initiative will be customers and prospects. It's no
different to other promotion in this respect. I agree that you should
either let it go or use passwords and then move on to getting the intended
audience to see the pages...

I do believe that people don't use enough deep linking to their own sites.
Once some prospect or customer knows of your company they are unlikely to be
interested in the top pages. They will have a special interest focus of
their own. It's nice when the site remembers you and does this for you but
it is an expensive feature to create and maintain and it could be less
costly, more effective and personal if a salesperson takes the trouble to
find out about your business and drop you an email or a letter with the
exact deep-linked URL which is relevant to you.

I wonder if sales people generally are encouraged to do enough to use their
own web site pages as a customer care and prospecting tool. Is it time for
a salesman joke?

Simon