Subject: Re: UKNM: time4.net
From: Giles Turnbull
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 19:04:09 +0100

.
>.
>
>if you look at the site, i am personally delighted that they have gone for
>the splash page with the entire site spawning in a new window, and
>everything built totally in flash. . .it's the future! </tongue in cheek>
>
>replies off-list, unless they're desperately funny ;-0

Hmm. I was contacted by their PR people a couple of weeks ago and, having
fought my way through the site, decided to take them up on their offer of
an interview.

I tried (*how* I tried) to argue with the guy that the interface was (a)
horrible, (b) frightening, and (c) built entirely in Flash when it didn't
need to be, but he was insistent that the company had reasons for all this.

These reasons included the fact that they are planning ahead for other
platforms (TV, dedicated web boxes in kitchens, that kind of thing) and
that they wanted to make the web experience as simple as possible, hence
the idea of replacing the entire browser interface with one of their own
design.

Personally I wouldn't want to use it. But then I thought about my elderly
step-dad, soon to take his first steps online, and I thought: which would
he rather use, a real browser or a pretend one designed by Time4.net?

I concluded that I would rather spend the time to teach him how to use a
real browser, but there are millions more people who won't have that
opportunity.

So the really frightening thing is that perhaps this kind of design *is*
the future. Either that, or operating systems and client interfaces have to
make themselves simpler to use - approaching teletext levels of simplicity
- before they will get millions and millions of newbies using them.

Giles
http://www.gorjuss.com
http://gilest.org
http://writetheweb.com