Subject: RE: UKNM: What if it's all shite? (was .TV)
From: Ben Hunt
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:17:18 +0100

Tim, I've had just the same thoughts, but recently I've been looking at
aspects of 'lock-in' in technology, specifically as relating to mobile
networking hardware and software, which in this case might indicate that the
present system may stick around for a little longer.

We all like to pleasure ourselves by lookiong ahead at golden days in the
future, whether it's that there'll actually be a single, unified media
access system (son of DNS) that makes sense and serves us properly, or a
small selection of entirely compatible and interchangeable mobile devices
that can do everything from order a pizza, buy a Big Issue, start the
washing machine or put the cat out.

Classical economics would tell us that the most sensible/efficient/practical
solution to an opportunity will indeed survive and beat off its competitors
to dominate its marketplace. The law of decreasing returns means that no
crap and inefficient competitor can survive - well, look at Darwin, what
chance would you give a three-legged gazelle in Africa?

A brief look at the real world however tells us that classical economics is
actually talking bollocks. The QWERTY keyboard is crap for typing on, it was
designed to slow down typists so their keys didn't get stuck, but it got dug
in and 'increasing returns' kept it in the market above superior designs
like DVORAK. VHS had no technological competitive advantage over Betamax,
but a slightly bigger initial market share for VHS caused market lock-in and
the eventual extinction of the fitter system. The free market doesn't always
support the best technologies. Someone want to mention Microsoft?

As well as that, the Universe has a built-in pattern of increasing
complexity and diversity. Big bang > stars > planets; the diversification of
species; new services popping up within economies as a result of other
innovations > economies get more and more complex. And that rate gets faster
as the underlying complexity increases. Complexity is the raw material for
complexity, and ideas create new ideas.

Look at the technology industry. Windows 2000 is quite good, but you've
still got lots of other operating systems. In fact, there is still a
significant number of PCs running Windows for Workgroups, Win95 etc. The
evolution of better products doesn't reduce the complexity of the market,
rather it stimulates the evolution of more products. In console gaming, the
launch of the next best machine doesn't kill off the others. There are more
and more mobile phones, PDAs, models of motor car etc. as time goes on. You
just don't find a single, sensible solution getting agreed on that
frequently. How much better off would we all be if we all drove, say,
Hondas, or ran MacOS, or used the same mobile handset and the same palm
computer? The place would run more efficiently, but it just don't work like
that.

So I don't think we'll see "a simpler solution." We may see multiple "better
solutions," but I can't imagine one actually coming to dominate, much as I'd
like to. Techno-panic sets in here. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

: )B

Ben Hunt
Production Director
Poulternet