Subject: Re: UKNM: RE: A Sad day
From: James Closs
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 14:27:49 +0100

>More fool them, then, for believing in the absurd. Stupid people who start
>up businesses deserve to fail. I'm being too harsh? Maybe I am, but any
>smart people among them will realise they have made a stupid mistake (we
all
>do it some times) and learn from it. The really stupid (and endlessly
>boring) will moan about it not being their fault.

<rant snipped>

Nice rant, Ray, but unfortunately you completely missed my point.
Obviously I wasn't putting it in simple enough terms for you - so let
me tell you a little story....

Johnny is a builder. One day he has an idea - he could build a big
house from scratch on a piece of land in an up-and-coming area then
rent it out for a mean profit.

Unfortunately Johnny doesn't have the money to build the house, so he
goes to his friend Billy - would Billy put some money in for a share
of the profits? Billy thinks the scheme is a great idea but he is a
tad unsure of Johnny's house building ability - so he offers to give
the money to Johnny in two stages. If Johnny can build the walls OK -
on time & exactly like they are on the plans, Billy will give him the
rest of the money to add the roof too.

So Billy gives Johnny the first chunk of cash and Johnny works away.
Two months later he's finished the walls and invites Billy to have a
look. Billy says..

'Wow Johnny, good work. You've finished the walls on time and they're
exactly like they are on the plans. Unfortunately my friend Tommy
tells me this isn't an up-and-coming area any more - and he's going
to build a better house somewhere else. So I'm going to give all my
money to Tommy instead.'

Who's fault is it that Johnny couldn't finish the house?

1. Johnny's
2. Billy's
3. A bit of both (bit complex this one!)

Simple enough for you Ray, or would you prefer it in words of one syllable.

Eat my raygun, evil alien: http://www.bitbull.com/demos/
Where logging on guarantees copping off: http://www.wild5.com/

James Closs / t 020 7460 4078 / When the horse
Director / f 020 7460 4081 / dies, get off.
bitBull Ltd / http://www.bitBull.com /