Subject: RE: UKNM: 'higher levels of depression and loneliness'
From: Philip Rooke
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 19:03:54 +0100

20 to 25 years ago there were articles kicking around saying that heavy
viewers of TV suffered from 'higher levels of depression and loneliness'
and 'a decline in psychological well-being'.

Then we had personal stereos will make us all deaf and unable to
converse. Followed by games machines will make us all violent
psychopaths.

This gives us three alternatives:

1) It's easy to blame new technology for the same old problems. It
makes copy and like most things can be proved by research. (All research
results being a product of the question asked)

2) Technology attracts people more prone to 'higher levels of depression
and loneliness' who look to technology to solve their problems.

3) We are all going to become deaf psychopaths and that's depressing.

I suspect a combination of the first two. Personally I find prolonged
exposure to living in houses without dish washers leads to 'higher
levels of depression' and intend to launch a paper to prove it!

Philip Rooke
Carlton Online