Subject: RE: UKNM: 'higher levels of depression and loneliness'
From: Steve Bowbrick
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 19:03:42 +0100

At 10:57 04/09/98 +0100, you wrote:
>I'm being flip, but I don't like this kind of ivory-tower self-selecting,
>localised, predetermined result-in-mind-based research at all. Plus -- would
>there have been a hoohah if they'd come up with anything positive?

If this were a different research team I would have agreed but this is the
HCI INstitute team at CMU, a pioneering advocate of the online life in most
areas. Most likely that they were actually expecting the reverse of the
final result. Sponsors certainly were.

I think the implications of the research are actually quite nuanced and
interesting. The effects measured are quite tiny - certainly marginal - but
measurable so the impact may be to make us think and, hopefully, to throw
the emphasis onto products, policies and services which actively mitigate
the effects which seem to be emerging. A new ratings scheme suggests
itself: this web site rated by CMU as 'only slightly depressing'...

--
Steve Bowbrick Webmedia Group
0171 494 3177 0468 257 570

http://www.webmedia.com/steve steveatwebmedia [dot] com (mailto:steveatwebmedia [dot] com)