Subject: RE: UKNM: 'higher levels of depression and loneliness'
From: Ross Sleight
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 23:09:44 +0100

Steve Bowbrick wrote:

At 10:57 04/09/98 +0100, you wrote:

>>I'm being flip, but I don't like this kind of ivory-tower self-selecting,
>>localised, predetermined result-in-mind-based research at all. Plus -- would
>>there have been a hoohah if they'd come up with anything positive?

>If this were a different research team I would have agreed but this is the
>HCI INstitute team at CMU, a pioneering advocate of the online life in most
>areas. Most likely that they were actually expecting the reverse of the
>final result. Sponsors certainly were.

Was this the same CMU which provided the figures and research for Time
Magazine's expose on the Internet as porn palace of the world a couple of
years ago...which two weeks later they had to retract due to dodgy
methodology. I think we should be told!

Sorry for being a bit flip but I think that this research is rather dubious
as to its real value - both from a methodological standing and from a
general interpretation of findings. From what I can gather from looking at
the research, it is also true to say that books are depressing as they are a
solitary activity. Its just the research doesn't actually mention this...

What is more concerning outside of methodological arguments is that the
story was picked up world-wide and became another cudgel to beat the medium
with. Mass market interpretation of this story surely sets the whole
education process back a few steps?

Ross