Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: UKNM Digest V1 #257
From: Clay Shirky
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 19:31:10 +0100

From: Aidan Cook <aidanatsensei [dot] co [dot] uk>

> It'll depend on what can be delivered through the TV as well obviously -
> If Digital TV can provide a service as self-contained, intuitive and
> authoritative as the old french Minitel was, then I oculd see a lot of
> people never using the Internet side of their set-top box, because "I can
> never find anything I want, its all weird, its too slow, and TV's better".

If DTV can provide a service as self-contained (e.g. not open),
intuitive (e.g. designed by fiat instead of experiment) and
authoratitive (e.g. no place for vox pop), then DTV will go the way of
Minitel - a good service in the short hauyl, doomed in the long
haul. If the Minitel model didn't work for the French, why do you
think its going to work for anyone else?

-clay

"In Praise of Evolvable Systems"
http://www.shirky.com/articles/evolve.html