Subject: Re: UKNM: Top e-commerce sites
From: Stefan Magdalinski
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 19:48:15 +0100

Neil Ellul wrote:

> Stefan
>
> >no doubt I'll get called a twat again, but may I be frank?
>
> I suppose purporting to be a "frank twat" gives you an excuse to be abusive?
>
> >what a load of shit. if you believe that that list is a accurate
> >reflection of who's doing 'top 20 ecommerce sites in the UK' then you're
> >an idiot.
>
> My colleague probably answered in haste, not fully realising the tiny
> attention span of some of the posters to this list.
>
> If he had considered this, he may have answered in the following way:
>
> Moran, while quite obviously NOT a list of ecommerce sites, does offer an
> interesting view of UK companies and their ability to survive online.
> Therefore, it is probably worth looking at when compiling a list of
> ecommerce sites.
>
> I have looked at Moran's methodology quite closely and believe it to be the
> most accurate assessment of the UK digital economy to date.
>
> >how many of those companies let you buy stuff online?
>
> Ah! So ecommerce is just about buying stuff? Presumably you don't believe
> that any other form of activity (say, reductions in supply chain costs,

presumably, based on what?

> completing part of an order online or

would be bizarre, but if you must.

> even marketing products to be sold off line) could be construed as ecommerce.

not a very practical definition of ecommerce. Is marketing products on
television a different sort of commerce from marketing with newspapers?

but even by those criteria, most of those companies are still doing
nothing, or next to nothing. A couple in the list particularly piss me
off.

I bank with natwest, and I still can't bank online. or send an email to
my acct manager. 2 years after I was promised. but that's not even the
point. Moran claim their public website is the 9th best in the UK. Pls
enjoy:

http://www.natwest.co.uk

last time I looked (about 3 months ago) , they were asking me to submit
my acct details on an insecure form. and I complained about it in UKNM.
very clued up.

and Logica pitched at us a few weeks ago for an e-commerce site
proposal, with a document that included the recommendation that we don't
take credit cards online. Next!

stefan

> I think sites like Jamba, Yahoo! or Ginger Online would claim to be at the
> forefront of ecommerce but don't sell "stuff" yet.

a great many many sites would claim it. but that doesn't mean that they
are.

just like almost every consultancy now claims to be e-commerce experts.

and finally, the http://www.dictionary.com definition of 'commerce' for
comparison.

commerce \Com"merce\, n.

Note: (Formerly accented on the second syllable.) [F. commerce, L.
commercium; com- + merx, mercis, merchandise. See
Merchant.] 1. The exchange or buying and selling of commodities; esp.
the exchange of merchandise, on a large scale, between
different places or communities; extended trade or traffic.

I don't see why sticking 'e' in front of it, suddenly means that it no
longer means buying or selling, but actually just marketing, or building
touchy feely brochureware sites.

stefan

--
/**