Subject: Re: UKNM: money / drain
From: azeem azhar, lists
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 19:52:57 +0100

At 9:35 am +0100 1999/09/03, Ray Taylor wrote:
>>Yet again we come to the 'old media' argument of reach
>

>As opposed to the new media arument of not giving a toss about who sees a
>site as long as it costs a lot to put together.
>
>fmcg marketing by its nature must have wide reach (relative to its market)
>or it ain't gonna move.

well said.

the same could got for the question of "what are out objectives?" for an
internet fmcg campaign.

* increasing brand awareness on a value you for money, not absolute basis
* increasing sales on a value you for money, not absolute basis

rarely seem to be the objectives.

instead objectives appear to be:

* appeal to old-media chairman's prejudices about "yoof" without showing
him any market research or actual behavioural data about what drives
internet usage because (a) the agency doesn't know it exists (b) the agency
wouldn't buy it, even if it knew it could

* employ all those graphic designers and shockwave programmers you employed
because you didn't get round to reading "Alex and Philips Guide to Web
Publishing" and now (1) all the good JSP, Oracle developers are gone (2)
you're paying these guys, so they better look busy

* explicitly avoid setting any hard metrics that are at all comparable to
old methods of measuring results even though
* we can have much more precise measurement online
* the whole new media agency notion is roughly transplanting the
old media "agency" metaphor ungainfully onto the Web. the fundamental
changes digital business involves is not just as a marketing tool but
reaching, pervading, throughout every business process from marketin to
suppliers to customer service. (look at viant and scient as companies who
get this)

a (feeling like stefan again)

azeem azhar | www http://azeem.azhar.co.uk/ (+)
uktel +44 (0)7958 544 593 | icq 315460
ukfax +44 (0)207 691 0464 | usfax +1 847 574 0472

+ definitely been updated: August 3rd.