Subject: Re: RE: Re: UKNM: The next stage in the game - ?????
From: Jon Watts
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 16:02:17 +0100

Afternoon all.

Clay wrote:

> I think we should differentiate between Open, the development
> platform (a hideously expensive proprietory setup similarish to
> Macromedia Director, and used across Europe by a large number of
> satellite and cable companies),

I thought that Open *wasn't* in use in a large number of places. Can
you point me to anything that lists the places where its currently in
use?

I think there's a fair bit of confusion going on here! OpenTV is the
name of the interactive services system used by BIB to operate the Open
platform. OpenTV's product family includes an operating system for
digital television receivers, a set of authoring tools for developing
applications, software to deliver applications to the digital receiver
and a set of services to complete the interactive television solution.

The Open platform used by BIB has been further developed by Oracle.
Open TV now have over 3,501,000 set-top box units deployed worldwide, as
of its second quarter ended 30th June, with over 933,000 set-top box
units shipped in the UK, Canada, Australia, and Spain. The system is
currently being used by a large number of major satellite pay-TV
platform operators, including TPS in France, EchoStar's DISH Network in
the USA, Stream in Italy, Via Digital in Spain and, of course, BSkyB in
the UK (there's a full list of customers at
http://www.opentv.com/customers/).

Given the rate at which these platforms are growing, OpenTV will have a
vwery substantial installed base for some time.

OpenTV is "proprietary", in the sense that it isn't open source - so
are all interactive services solutions, including the Liberate
Technologies and Power TV systems used by cable operators - surely all
software is proprietary if it isn't open source?

Perhaps more importantly, OpenTV is a small-footprint MPEG-centric
solution - it has been designed for use in a broadcast environment and
doesn't make substantial use of 'open' (sorry!) Internet protocols. This
makes it more difficult for content and services developers to leverage
the huge base of knowledge, skills, know-how, content and services that
have been developed for the Internet into the interactive television
space. Whether or not this represents a significant problem remains to
be seen.

> and Open.... (four dots) the ex-BIB conglomerate who have paid a
> rather large amount of money to provide the content for the BSkyB
> interactive offering.

Why seperate them? If the content is tied to the protocol, they'll
both be killed off at the same time.

Open is the consumer brand name, BIB is the name of the consortium
operating the platform, in the same way that the Sky channels are owned
and operated by BSkyB, which also operates a distribution platform. Just
to make matters more confusing, BSkyB also has an interactive television
programming arm, which was responsible for the clever stuff wrapped
around the Manchester United - Arsenal match.

> It'll depend on what can be delivered through the TV as well obviously -
> If Digital TV can provide a service as self-contained, intuitive and
> authoritative as the old french Minitel was, then I oculd see a lot of
> people never using the Internet side of their set-top box, because "I can
> never find anything I want, its all weird, its too slow, and TV's better".

If DTV can provide a service as self-contained (e.g. not open),
intuitive (e.g. designed by fiat instead of experiment) and
authoratitive (e.g. no place for vox pop), then DTV will go the way of
Minitel - a good service in the short hauyl, doomed in the long
haul. If the Minitel model didn't work for the French, why do you
think its going to work for anyone else?

Digital Television is not going to go the way of Minitel - television is
going to be with us for the foreseeable future. The best analogy for
Open is Teletext, not Minitel. It's not trying to be an open, networked
platform - it's trying to create a sensible, simple and secure
environment using the limited broadcast resources available (i.e.
transponders). For the record, Teletext is extremely successful and much
used! Of course, that's not to say that teletext isn't being forced to
change and evolve as usage of the Internet increases.

However, the success of the Open interactive services platform (as
distinct from digital television) is very much open (sorry again!) to
question. In particular, it is not clear how price competitive the
platform will be, given that it is dominated by big name branded
retailers who are likely to be unwilling to undercut high street prices

- will consumers purchase lots of CDs through Open when they can get the
same CDs for much less over the Internet? Hmmmm.

One final thought - it's interesting to note that despite its enormous
marketing spend and the transition to free set-top boxes, BSkyB's total
subscriber numbers across its analogue and digital satellite platforms
has actually fallen for the last two successive quarters. In other
words, BSkyB has fewer satellite subscribers today than it did 6 months
ago. In the meantime, cable is still putting on subscribers, and could
overtake satellite within the next year.

Cheers,
Jon Watts
Spectrum Strategy Consultants
Greencoat House
Francis Street
London SW1P 1DH
United Kingdom
Tel: (+44) 171 630 1400
Fax: (+44) 171 630 7011
email: jon [dot] wattsatspectrumsc [dot] co [dot] uk
http://www.spectrumsc.com