Subject: Re: FLASH: New Flash User
From: d.l.cheseldine
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 22:14:55 +0100

>Andrew,
>
>Buttons are a little bit tricky when you're starting out. One would expect
>to set the button's reactions to user activity from within the button
>itself. This is not the case, and for good reason - you can use the same
>button an unlimited number of times, each time with different actions
>attached to it.
>
>To link to a named anchor from a flash button:
>
>1. After you've created all four frames of your button (up, over, down, hit)
>place it on the stage in the main timeline.
>
>2. Choose "Modify > Instance..." Click the "Actions" tab, and then select
>"On MouseEvent" from the dropdown "+" menu.
>
>3. Choose the user action(s) that you would like your button to respond to,
>
>4. and then go back to the "+" menu and select "Get URL". Get URL should be
>nested between the On(UserEvent) & End On.
>
>5. In the URL box, type in either the absolute or relative URL as you would
>in an HTML page (i.e. index.htm#myname. The HTML file index.htm would need
>to have the named anchor <A NAME="myname"> somewhere in the page).
>The window box basically represents the TARGET attribute of the anchor tag &
>is used to refer to either a specific frame in a frameset or a window, and
>may be left blank or not as the situation requires.
>
>HTH,
>-Geoff

This is something I'm confused about too. If you double click your button
in the library, then select Edit, then double click for example the "Down"
frame in the Up, Over, Down, Hit "timeline", you can set actions. I
assumed that the action would then be like a cast member script in
Director, ie, it would be there automatically every time you created an
instance of that button. This doesn't seem to be the case - I haven't
succeeded in getting any response at all from button scripts created in
this way.

Thanks in advance for any explanation

dave Cheseldine

--
David Cheseldine | Email: d [dot] l [dot] cheseldineatbham [dot] ac [dot] uk
Multimedia Developer |