Subject: RE: FLASH: Using D7 with Flash Methods Revisited
From: Harrison, Len
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 22:33:45 +0100

Having just got our multi-swf Flash piece into Director, I guess I have some
experience here, so I'll take a shot...

<snip>

> --Are there any performance issues with using a multi-level
> Flash movie within Director?

Director runs Flash at about browser speed as far as I can tell. Best Flash
performance I've found is within VB or as a standalone .exe. Embedded .swf's
won't work at all. You'll need to flatten your Flash to individual sprites
on individual channels and then replace *all* telltarget commands that
target _levelN with FSCommands across *all* keyframes they appear in. I
opted to forego this joy and use the Flash .ocx inside Director. This will
crash Director if you go to a frame that doesn't contain the .ocx after it
has been initialized, so you set the size of the .ocx to 0,0 and park it in
a corner.

> --Does Director recognize Flash symbols across cast members?

No.

> --If you were to recreate parts of a Flash piece in Director,
> can Flash movie sprites Tell Target other Flash movie sprites?

No. Use Lingo

> --How could you best park an entire Flash movie within a
> Director shell? Move it offstage?

I send it to a blank frame just as I would in Flash proper. This can be done
within Flash or by Director.

> --What might break when trying to use an existing Flash movie
> within Director?

Any attempt to use layers. Everything else seems to work ok.

> Curtis

len