Subject: Re: FLASH: Setting Veriables
From: John Graham
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 06:10:16 +0100

> But I digress. I can kind of see what you were trying to do, but the loop
> doesn't work that way. You don't have anything inside the loop..nothing for
> it to loop "doing." I don't know how to explain this, somebody help me out,
> here!

Ok, I do understand that. I figured that there needed to be something in
the loop to continue it.

> Other things I noticed: I don't know if the spelling error is a typo here,
> or in your code, but "continue" is misspelled. Also, you need to refer to
> the variable by the correct path, in this case, something like
> "_level3:continue" maybe? But I still don't think the loop is gonna work
> this way. You need to make the "movie" loop if you want to continually
> check on a variable, not put a loop inside one frame.

Let me see if I can describe what I was/am trying to accomplish, w/o
completely confusing you, and myself. Please bear in mind that I am new to
flash and may be attempting something that can be accomplished very easily,
if the architecture is done differently. (I'm not opposed to that.)

I'm going to attempt to create some sort of diagram here...

ParentMovie opens
ChildMovie1 & NavagationMovie, & Elementmovie1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5

Then, the user can choose a button from the NavagationMovie, that tells
childMovies 3, 4, and 5 to go to a label finish the scene and unload
themselves.

This is when I want it to load in new childMovies for 3, 4, and 5. which
ones load is dependant on the button pushed. That is why the childMovie can
not load the new ones, because it could be any one of 6 buttons from the
navigation bar. UNLESS??? is there some way that I can tell the buttons in
the NavagationMovie, to create a variable say set button6=true, then in the
end action of the childmovie that is unloading have 6 different if then
statements that say, if button6=true then load movie X?

Sorry I'm thinking out loud...., I want to make sure that the new
childmovies do not come in until the previous child movie has finished it's
time line.

Another random question, in the last frame, of a movie, say _level6 can you
make the action,

Unload Movie (6)
Load Movie ("childmovie2.swf", 6)

or will it unload the current movie and not execute the new loadmovie?

It's past midnight and my mind needs to percolate on this til morning. :-)

John G

flasher is generously supported by...