Subject: Re: FLASH: IE for Mac (was: IE 5 without Flash?)
From: Sahlan Simón Cherpitel
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 16:34:11 +0100

hi all,

having a go round myself with IE on mac re flash & crash, am tossing my ten
pence in

PROS & CONS, NS & IE on Mac --- & anybody please correct or clue me in where
i'm mistaken or unaware!

IE5 is a better browser now, if it would just stop misbehaving. IE4.5 was
the same re crashes & causing lockups. & i'm not sure if 5 beta wasn't more
stable. i think it was in final beta release of Mar 5.

I use both, and generally agree with James and totally with Cregg attached
below.

Best NS version i think was 4.5. if i can find it, i may reload. but who
knows with os9, which i may give up for 8.6, until X becomes supported.
4.6 & 4.7 seemed to crash more, though only a fraction of what IE does.

NS supports dynamic fonts. Some sites are better geared for NS and overall
most sites work better in NS than IE.

HOWEVER, & here's why i made IE my default recently:

IE's superior handling of bookmarks (though 'favorites' to me is a dumb
pseudo-homey term). One can rename bookmarks which is veddy veddy neat if
one accumulates the quantity i do. IE5 also thankfully dumped those goofy
distracting side tabs. And the lite blue is nicer.

IE is far better at saving web pages in their original format. It seems to
me NS did this better back in 4.5 although my mind in this sort of recall is
rammed out

Other than that i decided to go with IE because it's now got the market.
One site i visit has shown that NS visits have dropped from 35-40% last sept
to 20-25% now. Whereas IE had 50-55% in sept, it now has about 70%.

This is too bad.

Mozilla is not yet ready for prime time. There's a couple of simple things
like cut n paste that i think it could not yet do in the public alpha in
march.

NS communicator was pretty good email, & nice to have in the browser.
When i switched to IE, i switched to outlook.

Outlooks got better handling of address book aka 'contacts'. It's great to

save msgs in simpletext. However version .02 (prior to .03 that came with
IE5 release--if i've got the numbers right) let you pick your mac sounds for
mail, while now you're stuck with the very limited ms batch (i liked to hear
the giggle when there was no mail).

However, if i want to 'purify' a jpeg before sending it out, i email it to
myself & fetch from NS communicator where it will drag off as a simple web
doc. Drag it from IE & you get a useless 'clipping'.

NOW if you're still reading, here's what i wonder: did gates make a deal
with aol to scuttle NS--quietly? Why else with aol's deep pockets would
they by default dump 50% of the browser market which NS still surely had
when they acquired the company??? Maybe the deal included ms going soft on
its network push which allowed aol to become stronger. My feelings about aol
are about the same as about ms, but that's another story.

Gate's single strongest legal argument was that IE was a better browser. It
was not at the time of that piece of testimony but it is now.

This may be one of the linchpins of his appeals process, and by the time the
appeals are heard there'll be no question of how much better IE is in
comparison with NS.

HOWEBER, i dearly hope i'm wrong & the new NS 5 or 6 will revive us all, be
stable & do all that IE does better & then some. God willing, & the satanic
powers of the companies that be beavering away diligently crafting their
best designs for us.

Maybe aol didn't care to push it, or it was part of the deal with ms, and
they'll go whole gobblies to town, making NS default on aol instead of IE,
and retake the market.

If anyone's got other pluses & minuses re NS v. IE, i'd love to hear them.

kind regards & pardon me if anything i said offended anyone.

sahlan

REF msgs:

From: "James Cutts" <jamesatinone [dot] co [dot] uk>

> Why oh why oh why does anybody with a Mac use IE?

So are you suggesting we all use Netscape?
Ive found problems with Navigator not recognising MIME types.
And IE is a better piece of software on the whole and it works
better with DHTML sites.

> And do you think that Bill
> Gates really gives a damn about Mac users?

Well, yes. He has shares in the company after all...

> There is a choice, if you didn't use IE you wouldn't have these problems.
> The IE Mac market must be so small as to not be worth the bother anyway.

Shows how much you know about Apples ever increasing market share.

Yes everyone has a choice - so why are you trying to force your opinion down
our throats? Personally I use both Navigator and IE which solves any
problems - if a site doesnt work properly in one,
use the other. Why should we be loyal to only one?

Chill out dude....

From: "Gregg Caines" <cainusatsprint [dot] ca>

Netscape is better in one main regard... it works on all major operating
systems. Unix is an OS that is used extensively (more than Mac) and
it has no version of IE. However, because of the lack of standard
compliance on the part of both netscape and microsoft, I have to say
that both browsers are a real pain in the ass....Netscape seems to have
trouble with just about everything, and every new addition of IE brings
some technology that is further and further from the W3 consortium's
plan. Let's just cross our fingers for mozilla. It would be nice to take
the web back from microsoft...

Gregg Caines

From: jdowdellatmacromedia [dot] com (John Dowdell)

At 1:04 PM 4/3/0, Robbert - Jan wrote:
> John Dowdell wrote:
> > (I'm not sure about the upcoming Netscape 6.)
>
> Let us first welcome Netscape 5, which is still just
> in a developer beta stage :)

uhm.... I guess I'm not sure about that one, either.

(Hey! has anybody seen the coffee machine around here...!? ;-)

jd

From: Brian Mays <bmaysatconnectok [dot] com>

Thought I read an article that there is no Netscape 5, but jumping straight
to 6.

Brian Mays

flasher is generously supported by...