Subject: Re: FLASH: Cool Video Games
From: Cheri Harder
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 20:12:52 +0100

Hi, Jeff.

I don't know how much response you've had to this thread, since I've been in
and out & just scanning stuff today, but am impressed with your start and
have some general suggestions/comments about how to structure this (just my
thoughts, mind you I'm no expert)

I would make the background a separate movie clip so you can tell target it
when to go and stop and reverse. I would control it with a controller movie
clip, I think, where there is a "forward loop" and a "reverse loop" so that
your button action can call the controller mc frame action (reason you need
the controller is you want a continuous action, which takes 2 frames, and
you only have one frame in the button) I don't think I'm explaining this
very well.

mcBack is instance name of the background movie clip, set up so that its
first and last frames have overlapping graphics so it appears to continue
forever...

mcControl is the instance name of the controller movie clip, which has 5
frames. First frame label "park" action "tell target mcBack stop"
Second frame label "forward" action "tell target mcBack go to next frame"
Third frame action "go to and play (frame label) forward"
Fourth frame label "reverse" action "tell target mcBack go to previous
frame"
(you'll need an if statement somewhere here that says if _currentframe = 1
then go to final frame of your mcBack and vice versa for the forward motion)
Fifth frame "go to and play reverse"

Now, your button actions will be
forward button: call mcControl:forward
back button: Call mcControl:reverse
Stop: Call mcControl:park

Now, within that mcBack MC you can create nested movie clips for your
characters. They will each need an instance name so you can track their
position. There's great info on collision detection on
http://www.moock.org/webdesign/flash/actionscript/collision/index.html

That was a quick run-through, pseudo-code and NOT checked for accuracy, was
just meant to head you in the (hopefully) right direction

~~~~Cheri Harder~~~~~
charderatawsolution [dot] com
Advantage Web Solution
www.awsolution.com