Subject: Re: FLASH: Kinda OT - MS costs?
From: Ben Park
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 15:09:07 +0100

you wrote : "you only pay for the time you use the host processor and it's
apps, as opposed to shelling out $500 for MS Office, etc."

hmm...kinda ok for americans, but using Word 9am-5pm in this country would
mean you'd have to be online, right?
Online costs are currently £2.40 per hour peak rate (9am-5pm, Monday to
Friday) here, so it would be cheaper to buy the product.
Also, wouldn't there be serious security holes in this kind of working....I
guess MS will worry about this after release, right, like they usually
do....
How easy would it be for people to watch what you were doing? Do you really
want every hacker on the net knowing exactly what you're doing?

BUT - what I was talking about, is where you have the package on your
computer, and you have to buy credits over the net, when you connect, and
then you can use it for so long before you have to buy more credits.
You know - you pay so much for so many hours, and then after that many
hours, it stops working I guess.

My simple answer to that problem is, put MS's software on computer's that
don't connect to the net, and run Linux on the internet'd machines. That
will really get to MS.
If they start running things like that, it could start a real take off for
Linux amongst people who would never normally have switched, which I
think'll can only be a good thing - theres too many people using Microsoft
software (including me), just because other people are using it, and there
isn't really any better option most of the time.

Ben